Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day 15: Rest Day


I have a new obsession. Don’t mock me… I’m really into sci-fi and fantasy and I don’t know how I missed out on this series, but….here it is…I’m obsessed with Battlestar Galactica. No, not the original back from the 80’s, but the new, 2003-2008 series. It’s just so good. It’s thought-provoking, action packed, well-written, and well-acted. I had downloaded the first season onto my iPod before I went on the mountain and at the rate I’m watching episodes, I will wish I had downloaded the whole series!

(I’m not just watching TV…I finished reading the fifth book in the Game of Thrones series and also read The Alchemist—a great read on a long mountaineering expedition or when you’re ever in need of some great philosophical advice.)

In other news, we did a second skills training today. This time, we practiced the running belay and magic clip-through. These are techniques that will become important (and potentially life-saving) up on the 16,200ft Knife-edge Ridge. Hopefully we’ll get a chance to practice them in real life tomorrow when we ascend to Camp IV…also known as High Camp. If the weather holds up, that is…

At this point, we are slated to summit in three days. The only thing is that a low-pressure (read: bad weather) system is supposed to come in in…three days. So, while it’s beautiful and sunny now, we’re all secretly thinking “How long have we got until this weather spoils.” Please let the forecast be wrong, please let it be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment