Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day 24: Weather Day

The sun was out and it was warm once more but, alas, we are still stuck at Camp III. The avalanche risk has not decreased at all so we are still in a holding pattern. Fingers crossed that something happens soon… Up until today, not a single one of the 100+ people at camp had gone up the slope because of the avalanche risk, but today a group of Norwegian climbers tried going up to recover their skis which were cached up at the top of the ridge. Fortunately, they made it back safely. But unfortunately, they only made it halfway up the slope and turned around after exhausting themselves in the chest-deep snow. Their analysis of the slope conditions is that the avalanche won’t decrease for weeks more at best… Fingers crossed that they’re wrong…

No comments:

Post a Comment