Thursday, August 9, 2012

One Down, One to Go! (A Kosciusko Summit...)


So yesterday I summited Mt. Kosciusko (locally known as Kozzie). After waiting in the small ski resort village of Thredbo for two days, the weather finally cleared up and I snowshoed the 14km hike up to the summit of Kozzie and back. With few clear features, I can imagine that this climb could be quite dangerous in bad conditions. Luckily, I only had to deal with strong winds. Other than that, I had clear skies and a bright sun to accompany me up to the summit. On my way, I met two other American Seven Summits aspirants—they were on their sixth of the seven, with only Vinson left. We took some pictures at the summit then headed back down. In all, it took less than 4 hours round trip. Compared to the other mountains I’ve climbed, it was quite easy. But it was also beautiful and I’m glad that I was able to find a good weather window to make the top.

So I’m back in Sydney tomorrow then headed up to Bali to meet my mother. In a couple days, she and I will fly into the jungles of Iryan Jaya to begin our Carstensz Pyramid expedition. I am very excited but also somewhat nervous…but more on that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment