Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day 7: Backcarry 10,300ft Cache


Uh-oh. The weather has finally turned against us. We woke up and discovered we were socked in by cloud. It wasn’t particularly windy, but it was definitely a white-out. We still went down the hill to dig up our cache. We were lucky to make it down and back quickly and without incident. (I give full credit to our excellent guides for this. I am 100% confident they would never lead us into bad weather if they could help it, and honestly this wasn’t even bad weather for Denali.) I guess that’s what scares me the most…that this weather isn’t even that bad for Denali. How bad does it get? At times it was near impossible to see even a couple feet ahead of me, and it wasn’t even cold, windy, or snowing! I guess we’ll just have to pray for good weather and hope we’re never caught in a bad storm. 

Relaxing in the kitchen tent at Camp II

No comments:

Post a Comment